Registering with an online bookmaker is no longer a tedious process, as it can be done in a few steps. It requires you to provide them personal, yet important details so as to establish yourself as a part of their online community. A username, password, email address, phone number, etc. are some of the key information you need to provide for registration.
But you may end up entering incorrect information or mistype characters, or some time down the line, decide to change some of your personal details. Is it possible to alter personal information since the KYC process has already been completed at the bookmaker’s end?
This page will deal with information about changing personal details after registering with a bookmaker. It will cover areas such as how to change currency, language, date of birth, and name, among others.
How to Change the Language?
The language setting on a bookmaker’s website can be denoted in more than one way. While some sources may make the option available in their ‘Settings’ section, another may position it under profile.
In this example, we'll assume it is available under ‘Settings’. You can change the language as follows:
- Visit Settings
- Look for the Language tab among the list of options and click on it
- You will now be able to see the different languages in which the website can be viewed.
- Find the language to which you want the website to be translated and click on it
- The page will automatically refresh and you will be able to read the characters in your preferred language
Usually, a website is in English by default. If you live in India, the bookmaker may even offer language options like Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, etc. All you have to do is select your preferred language from the list, and the website will be translated for your convenience.
Changing the Currency
Before knowing how to change your currency on a bookmaker’s site, you must understand how important it is to choose your betting currency sensibly.
Firstly, some payment methods may be available only for specific currencies. That does not mean that the payment source rejects your currency, but it is the bookmaker that does not accept it.
Secondly, if you transact between two currencies, there may be extra fees levied. So, make sure that you choose a currency that you are comfortable using, as it will also ensure that you are not overindulging.
To change the currency you can generally follow these steps:
- Visit the Payment Methods section
- Navigate the options to locate ‘Deposit’ and click on it
- Normally, you can find a dropdown menu or a list comprising the multiple currencies listed with them
- Choose your preferred currency
- Proceed with your payment and checkout
Do remember that currency conversions often come with exchange rates or fees. So, you might end up paying more than you previously did.
How to Change my Name?
It is next to impossible to change your name with a bookmaker. While registering, you are asked to complete the KYC process, during which you submit government-approved documents.
The name you enter at the time needs to match your name on your submitted document. You can still contact the customer support team for related assistance, but they are also likely to tell you that changing your name is not possible.
Changing the Date of Birth
Like names, the date of birth is sensitive information and cannot be changed for the same reason.
However, if by your admittance you have entered the wrong date, feel free to get in touch with the customer support professionals. They will surely guide you with the subsequent stages if their company allows it.
Alternatively, you could be asked to create a new account with accurate information.
Changing a username is not as common as changing a password, which is why several bookmakers may not make this option available on their platforms. However, if they did, it may involve a similar process as changing your password.
The bookmaker may ask for your email ID for verification, and once you submit it, they will send a link to your email where you can substitute a new username.
How to Change my Password?
Password being a critical element in a bookmaker’s account, you are generally allowed to change it. Some of the betting sites might even encourage you to change the password every three or six months for security reasons.
Regardless, if you wish to change your password, you can do so by visiting your account settings and swapping your old one for a new one.
If you forget your password:
- Click on the Log in tab on the website
- When a new dialog box opens, click on ‘Forgot Password’
- The bookmaker will provide you a space where you need to enter the email address you gave during registration
- Check your email and open the email from the Bookmaker
- Click on the password change link
- A new page opens where you need to enter the new password you wish to set
- Once done, click on ‘Confirm’ or a similar button
- The website will confirm that the password has been changed
- Visit the bookmaker’s site and log in with your username and the new password
Changing other Personal Details
Good and reputable bookmakers have a responsible gaming section on their websites. It is a display of acknowledgement that they realize the potential risks of betting and that they are working towards ensuring that none of their members fall into problems.
In accordance, they allow you to set betting limitations. You can usually find it in your ‘My Account’ section of the website or under ‘Profile’. The site always displays your current deposit limit, which by default is ‘None’.
To change the deposit limit, you can follow the below steps, if available –
- Click on the ‘Set Deposit Limit’ button or a button that signifies something similar
- You can enter a new amount and that will be the maximum you can spend
- Further, set the restriction period, which can be anywhere from 1 day to 30 days or even 60 days
- For your selected duration, you will not be able to spend beyond the new limit set by you
- Click on ‘Confirm’
It is a great initiative that prevents you from overspending.
Similarly, another option is self-exclusion. By using this option, you are banning yourself from gambling activities for a set period, which can even extend to six years if you choose.
Setting up self-exclusion is a simple process and can usually be done on the website itself. You can also reach out to the customer support team, and explain your situation.
They will ask you to provide proof of identity containing your photo ID and address proof. Once they apply the changes, you will be excluded from further participation for a set period of time.
If you are interested in this topic, make sure to read our responsible gaming guide. It covers all the basics, from setting proper limits to self-exclusion and more.