This beginners guide will give you a step-by-step overview of how to place your first cricket bet. If you are looking for more specific bet types, you can navigate to the dedicated sections through the links below.
How to Bet on Cricket Guide
You would have been often tempted about placing a bet and taking a chance on winning some money on your favourite IPL cricket teams. But the lack of knowledge about how to place bets and increase your odds of winning some cash, would have stopped you from taking a leap of faith.
But fear not, in this ultimate betting guide for beginners, we will take you through each and every step on how to place a bet, pick the odds, make payments and deposits, select a reputed website for online betting, increase your chances of winning, and cash out on your earnings.
By the time you are done reading this comprehensive guide, you will be much more well-versed in the world of sports and IPL online betting.
Are you ready to start your journey and become an expert in no time?
Tip: If you are looking for more information on betting on football instead, make sure to read our football betting guide.
Picking a Betting Site
The first and most important thing is to pick a reputed and trusted online betting website, also often referred to as an online bookmaker. It is extremely important that you do thorough research and understand the rules and terms and conditions before you select a bookmaker to place your bets on a sporting event.
An online bookmaker is an organization existing on the internet that will allow you to place bets on the outcome of various events from the comfort of your home. The best online bookmakers give you the opportunity to place bets on a number of sporting events and various matches after you create an account on their platform.
Before selecting an online bookmaker, you have to consider a few non-negotiable factors:
- Reputation and safety
- Range of sporting events covered
- Welcome bonuses and other promotions offered
- A variety of payment methods are available
- A variety of withdrawal methods are available
- Accessibility and user-friendly nature
A number of sites exist that cover almost all of the above features like 22Bet, 1XBet, Parimatch and many more. For more information, head to our betting sites page where you will find detailed reviews of all the top online betting sites available in India.
Creating an Account
To start your journey in the world of online betting, it is necessary for you to have a registered account on a betting website. Creating an account is an extremely simple process that requires some basic personal information and for you to agree on a few terms and conditions.
If you are using a reputed betting site, your data will be protected and your personal information will be safe due to the high-security measures and protocols these sites employ.
Most online betting websites employ a very similar process for creating an account. Taking an example of 1xBet, we will give you a step-by-step guide on becoming a registered user:
- Visit the URL of the website on your browser
- Click on the Register/Sign Up button at the top
- A window will pop up asking for your personal details
- Enter the personal details like first name, surname, confirmation that you are 18+, country of residence, email address and mobile number
- Confirm your email address and set a username and a password and agree to their terms and conditions
- Once done, you will be sent a mail with a confirmation link to your registered email id
- Click on the confirmation link and your account will be set up
- Head back to the site and login to your account. You’re now ready to make your first deposit.
Make Your First Deposit
After you have made a registered account on the online bookmaker of your choice, the next step is to make a deposit on the site through the various payment methods at your disposal before placing your first bet on a sporting event and its outcome.
The biggest online betting websites have a very simple process of depositing money and offer a range of popular payment options ranging from UPI to bank transfers in various currencies, including INR. The process may vary from site to site but the basic fundamentals remain the same.
Again, it is extremely important to choose a reputed site and then follow the below steps to make your first deposit:
- Create your registered account on the website
- Log in to your created account by entering your username/email id and your password
- Head to the deposit section on your account where you can add and manage your funds. Some websites will also have a different name for the deposit section like ‘Banking’ or ‘Cashier’
- Select the payment method from what is available on the site. Common and popular payment methods on most popular online betting websites include UPI, credit cards, debit cards, e-wallets (Skrill, Neteller, PayPal), bank transfers, prepaid cards and cryptocurrencies
- Enter the amount you want to deposit
- Enter the payment details like card number, card name, expiry date, CVV, login credentials or PIN depending on the payment method you have opted for
- Verify the transaction that will be usually done through an OTP received via a text message or an email
- Wait for the transaction to be done
- After a success message pops up, the amount will be credited to your account immediately
Find the Bet You Want to Place
This is the most important step in your betting journey. In this process, you will determine the sporting event you want to bet on, the team you choose to bet on and finally the outcome you decide to bet on.
All the reputed online betting websites will give you a plethora of sporting events to bet on and within that, you will find a number of outcomes or types of bet you could opt to choose in order to win big.
In this, you will choose your favourite team and then opt for a certain type of bet to stand a chance of winning.
For this, you will need to navigate the sportsbook on the online website of your choice and then decide upon the factors mentioned above.
Below, we will guide you through a step-by-step process on how to find the bet you want to place so that you have the best possible information before starting your journey.
Find the Sport of Your Choice
The first step towards placing a bet is selecting a sport of your choice. On reputed and popular online betting websites, you will find a wide array of sports to choose from.
Some of the most popular sports on online betting websites include cricket, football, Formula 1, Moto GP, tennis, athletics, volleyball, golf, hockey, NFL and basketball.
Cricket is the most popular sport when it comes to betting in India. Once you head to a cricket page of an online betting website, you will first find a list of featured matches that you can bet on.
Once you select a match, you can then place a bet on a variety of outcomes and player performances.
Find Your Match
Once you are done selecting the sport that you want to bet on, the next step would be finding the match that you want to try your hand at.
Most of the top online betting websites will feature all the top ongoing matches on the top of the page. The IPL is a good example of this and you will find all the matches from the tournament being featured on the top sportsbooks.
Now, imagine an ongoing IPL match between Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings and you select to bet on that match. In that match, you will find a wide variety of betting options like toss result, Mumbai Indians win odds, Chennai Super Kings to win, Player of the Match, highest run-scorer odds, leading wicket-taker odds, most sixes odds and many more.
There are also finer odds available during live betting like predicting over/under runs in an over and predicting over/under runs in an innings.
In this example, let’s use the Mumbai Indians to win as the betting market you want to place a bet on.
Choose the Right Betting Market
After choosing your sport and the match you want to bet on, the next and perhaps the most important step is to choose the right betting market.
If you are betting on an IPL match between Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings, you need to have all the research available at your disposal. It is extremely important to know the form guide and win/loss record of both sides, their head-to-heads, how the key players from both sides are currently performing, and to understand which side is favourite heading into the match.
Though betting on the underdogs could give you more lucrative gains, it is always a safer option to bet on the favourites especially if you are a beginner in the world of online betting. To keep it simple, let’s place a bet on Mumbai Indians to win.
The factors mentioned below are a must to understand the right betting market before you put your hard earned money on the line:
- Knowledge: You must have the knowledge and familiarity with the sport, the match and the teams you are betting on
- Research: Do as much as research as you can as cricket especially is a game driven by stats. Think about previous head-to-head results, player form, team form, etc.
- Strategy: Have a clear strategy in place based on how much you want to earn and how much you are willing to lose
- Manage your bankroll: It is extremely important to set a budget and not to overspend. We recommend always placing a bet of a set amount.
- Value betting: Find the odds that will give you the most lucrative winnings, determined by the statistical research you have done
Though there are a number of different betting markets available on a betting website, some are more basic to bet on if you are a beginner. They are quite easy to understand and provide you with a good chance to walk away with some earnings.
A few of the most popular cricket bets for beginners are:
- Winner bets: This is a common and the easiest form of bet that means betting on the winner of the match. For example, you place a bet on Mumbai Indians to beat Chennai Super Kings in an IPL contest between the two sides.
- Best batsman bet: This is a very popular form of bet where you wager your money on which batsman will be the best in a particular match. This bet is based on which batsman will be the highest run-scorer in a match. For example, you bet on Rohit Sharma to be the best batsman in an IPL match between Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings.
- Best bowler bet: This is very similar to the best batsman bet, but instead, you wager your money on which bowler will end up as the leading wicket-taker in a match. For example, you place a bet on Jasprit Bumrah being the best bowler in an IPL match between Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings.
- Man of the Match bet: In this bet, you will predict which player will walk away with the Man of the Match award in a particular contest. For example, you bet on Rohit Sharma to be the man of the match in Mumbai Indians’ clash against Chennai Super Kings in their IPL cricket encounter, depending on the odds the market has to offer.
A very important thing before you place a bet on an IPL cricket match or any other sporting event is to understand what odds the sportsbook is offering. The better you understand the odds, the more the chances of you walking away with big earnings while reducing your chances of making a loss.
There are various different types of odds that you need to understand. The most important of them is the decimal odds. Here is what decimal odds mean:
Decimal Odds are mostly found in Europe and it’s also the prevalent odds type in India. They are shown as numbers with two decimal places. For example, if the odds of Rohit Sharma winning the man of the match in an IPL match between Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings at 2.50, it means that for every INR 1 you bet, you will walk away with INR 2.50 in winnings, including your INR 1 stake.
Let’s consider you want to bet INR 100 on Rohit Sharma to win the Man of the Match for odds of 2.50. Your pay out will be INR 100 x 2.50 = INR 250. Do note that this INR 250 includes your original stake, so your net profit is INR 150 (INR 250 – INR 100).
So in decimal odds, the higher the odds, the more the chances of you winning. If Rohit Sharma has odds of 2.50 and MS Dhoni has odds of 7.50, you will earn more if you bet on MS Dhoni and he ends up winning the man of the match in the IPL match-up.
Similar equations would also be in play on other kinds of bets, including match-winner bets, best bowler bets and best batsman bets. This is also applicable to all other sports.
Different Types of Odds
Apart from decimal odds, you will also come across fractional odds that are seen in the UK.
If the fractional odds are 3/1 on Rohit Sharma winning the man of the match, you will INR 3 in profit on every INR 1 you bet plus your initial stake. If the odds are 5/2 on Rohit Sharma winning the man of the match, you will win INR 5 on every INR 2 you bet plus your initial stake.
We recommend that you always use the decimal odds system, because it is by far the easiest to understand. All reputable bookmakers in India give you the option to change the odds format in your account settings.
For more details about different odds, make sure to check our odds in cricket betting page.
Placing Your Bet
Now that you have understood how odds are calculated, the next natural progression is to place a bet on a match or an outcome. Placing a bet if you know the stakes involved and the odds at play is a very easy process.
Here, we will give you a detailed guide on how to do that:
- Go to the online betting website of your choice
- Create an account if it is your first time or log in if you are already a registered user
- Make a deposit to your account. This will ideally involve the amount of money in the ballpark figure that you want to bet
- Choose your betting market by deciding on the sport, event, match or any particular outcome that you want to place a bet on
- Study the odds carefully
- Decide on your stake by coming to a conclusion about how much money you want to bet
- Select the odds that you want to bet on and hit click
- Confirm your bet by reviewing all the details on your bet slip and making sure that everything is accurate and then hit ‘Place bet’
- Wait for the outcome and hope your predictions are accurate and you have walked away with winnings
It is important to note that it is vital that you review your betslip carefully before proceeding with placing your bet. A betslip on an online betting website acts as a tool for you to review and confirm your selections.
An ideal betslip showcases your selections, odds and stakes, potential payouts and also your bet ID. In short, a betslip allows you to make best-informed decisions before proceeding with your bet.
Check the Outcome and Collect Winnings
Once your bet is placed, the next step involves waiting for the result to come that will determine your outcome and whether you have walked away with a healthy profit or a loss.
This wait can be anxious, but there is a process in place to collect your winnings if you have indeed succeeded in your bet.
Here is the process:
- Wait for the match to end
- Check the results. Depending on the odds you have bet on, you will check the result of the match, who ended up as the best batsman, who ended up as the best bowler or who walked away with the man of the match award
- For example, if Rohit Sharma won the man of the match in the match between Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings and you had bet on those odds, you are in luck and have indeed become a winnerIf your bet is a winning bet, the amount you have won plus the stakes that you placed will be credited to your betting account. On reputed websites, this happens almost immediately. You can find the results of your bet in the ‘history’ section of the bookmaker, in which you can see if the bet you placed was won or lost.
- The next step would be to withdraw the winnings by opting for a withdrawal method that you desire and is available on the online betting website
Pay Out Your Winnings
After you have ended up with a winning bet and it has been credited to your account, the next step is to withdraw your earnings. This process is very easy and generally swift if you have chosen a safe and reputed online betting website.
There are a few simple steps that you need to follow that will make the process a breezy one. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- Log in to your account
- Head to the withdrawal section of the online betting website
- Choose a withdrawal method. Depending on the website, there could be a range of options
- Input the withdrawal amount that you want to transfer
- Confirm your identity if required by the online betting website
- Submit your withdrawal request. The bookmaker will then start processing your request and payment could be credited to your account depending on your withdrawal method
- After the processing time is done, check your account and see whether your winnings have been credited to your account.
Some of the most common methods of withdrawing money from online betting websites are:
- UPI: Unified Payments Interface, more commonly known as UPI has now become a default mode of monetary transaction for many people in India. It is safe and directly deducts and adds money from and to your account and is now available on almost every major online Indian betting site.
- Netbanking: This is the safest method available and easiest method which will deposit money to your bank account directly. The processing time for this may be more depending on the online betting website and your bank.
- E-wallets: Withdrawing your winnings can also be done through various E-wallets like Neteller, Skrill, EcoPayz, Paytm and Rupay. Beware that some of these e-wallets may charge a transaction fee.
Please note that different withdrawal methods also come with different withdrawal times. Where the withdrawal time for UPI and E-wallets is often less than 15 minutes, it may take up to 5 business days if you choose netbanking or bank transfer.