On this page, you will find all the information you need to place your first football bet. If you are looking for more advanced bets in football, or general betting strategies, make sure to check out the links below.
They cover different bet types and strategies in great detail and will help you place better bets.
How to Bet on Football
You may have often contemplated the idea of placing a bet and trying your luck at winning some cash while supporting your favourite football team. However, the lack of understanding regarding the process of placing bets and improving your chances of securing a win may have stopped you from taking that first important step.
But don't stress! We're here to help. In this detailed guide for people new to football betting, we'll explain everything step by step.
We'll show you how to place bets, pick good odds, manage your money, pick a trustworthy top bookmaker, improve your chances of winning, and finally, withdraw your winnings.
Once you're done reading this thorough guide, you'll know a lot more about football betting.
So, what are you waiting for? Just keep on reading and you will find everything you need to know about football betting in this ultimate football betting guide.
Tip: If you want to learn how to bet on cricket, make sure to check out our Cricket Betting Guide.
Picking a Football Betting Site
The initial and most important decision for anyone stepping into the world of sports betting is selecting a reputable and trusted online betting site.
This choice will significantly impact your betting journey, so conducting thorough research and understanding the rules, terms, and conditions is very important before you register with a bookmaker.
Always remember, the best bookmakers will provide you with competitive odds, an amazing welcome bonus along other promotional offers.
Before you Sign up with a new bookmaker, make sure to keep these things in mind:
- Prioritize bookmakers with a strong reputation for fairness, security, and instant payouts. Reputable bookmakers like 22Bet, Parimatch, and Dafabet are excellent choices if you are new to the football betting world
- Look for bookmakers that provide attractive welcome bonuses and ongoing promotions to boost your betting bankroll
- Check if the bookmaker supports convenient payment methods that suit your preferences, such as UPI, e-wallets, or bank transfers
- Consider the ease and speed of withdrawing your winnings, as well as the availability of your preferred withdrawal options
- Always choose a bookmaker who is legal in India and has an authorised license
If you pick one of the betting sites from the shortlist below, you will be sure you are making the right choice.
Creating an Account
Creating an account on a betting site is a straightforward process. Follow these steps carefully, and ensure your personal information is kept secure throughout the registration process.
- Choose a Reputable Betting Site: Select a well-established and reputable betting site like 1xBet, 22Bet, or Parimatch
- Access the Registration Link: Navigate to the betting site's homepage and look for a ‘Sign Up' or ‘Register' button. Click on it to begin the registration process
- Provide Personal Information: During the registration process, you'll be required to provide the following personal information as Full Name, Date of Birth, Email Address, Phone Number, etc
- Confirm Your Age: All betting sites require you to confirm your age and agree to their terms and conditions. Read the terms and conditions carefully, and confirm that you are above 18+
- Verification: You will be required additional verification to ensure your identity. This can include providing a copy of your identification document such as an Aadhar Card, PAN card, etc
Making your First Deposit
Once you've created an account on your chosen football betting website, the next thing to do is put some money into it before you can start betting on football or any other sports.
The exact steps might differ from one site to another, but the main principles are usually the same.
So, let us explain the crucial steps of depositing funds in your betting account:
- Log In to Your Account: Ensure that you've successfully created and logged in to your betting account on your chosen platform
- Access the Deposit Section: Once logged in, navigate to the deposit section of the betting site. This can usually be found in the top menu on the homepage
- Choose Your Payment Method: Betting sites offer various payment methods to fund your account. Some commonly used and trusted methods include UPI, E-Wallets, Crypto, Bank Transfers, etc
- Enter Deposit Amount: Enter the amount you wish to deposit. Bookmakers often have a minimum deposit requirement, which varies between platforms. It's essential to meet this amount to complete the transaction
- Confirm Payment: Review your deposit details, including the payment method and currency. Ensure that all information is correct before confirming the payment
- Authorize the Transaction: This step will involve entering your UPI id, card details, or CVV number
- Transaction Confirmation: Upon successful authorization, you will receive a confirmation message. The time to reflect in your betting account will depend on the chosen payment method
Please Note: Every betting site has a minimum deposit requirement, which is the smallest amount you can deposit into your account. This minimum varies between platforms but is typically in the range of INR 100 to INR 500. If you are looking for places where you can make small deposits, make sure to check out our page about low deposit betting sites.
Find the Bet You Want to Place
Now, let's explore the most crucial part of your football betting journey: finding the bet you want to place on your favourite team. All the top bookmakers will have a separate football section where you can easily find the team or the matches you want to bet on.
For example, if you are an EPL fan, you will find all the matches under the English Premier League section in the sportsbook.
Navigate to the Football Section
Betting sites typically offer a wide variety of sports to cater to various preferences. To help you get started, let's guide you to the football section, as an example, and explain what you can expect to find there.
Inside the football section, you'll find all kinds of matches and tournaments from around the world. This will include international fixtures, domestic leagues, and even smaller football tournaments. Matches will be organized by date and time.
You can easily see all the live matches and upcoming matches in a comprehensive overview.
Find your Match
Let's say you're interested in a football match between Manchester United vs Liverpool. Inside the football section, you'll see a list of upcoming matches and tournaments. Look for the match title Manchester United vs Liverpool and click on it.
Here, you'll find various betting markets and odds for that specific game, allowing you to choose the bet that suits your prediction.
Also note that all bookmakers have options for live betting on their platform, so you can also take the opportunity to place a bet when the match has already started.
Choose the Right Betting Market
When betting on an EPL match between Manchester United and Liverpool or any other match in football, thorough research is very important.
Analyse the recent performance of both teams and along with that examine the head-to-head statistics between the two of them. Assess the current form of key players from both sides and then analyse which team is favourite to go into the match.
Tip: If you are looking for football predictions for the biggest EPL and Champions League matches, make sure to check out our sports predictions page.
Once you have done that, choosing the right betting market is also a crucial aspect of making some big money.
Here's how to choose the right betting market in football:
- Go to the sportsbook section and find the match titled Manchester United vs Liverpool
- Click on the match to view the available betting markets. While there are various options, the primary bet you're interested in is the ‘Match Winner' or ‘1X2' market. In this market, you'll find odds for Manchester United to win, the match to end in a draw, or Liverpool to win.
- To place your bet on Manchester United to win, simply click on the odds associated with United. This will add the selection to your bet slip. Then wait for the result
While Match Winner (or 1X2) is the most straightforward bet, there are many more bet types in football betting. Below, we will highlight some of the most popular ones:
- Over/Under Goals: This market allows you to predict whether the total number of goals scored in a match will be over or under a specified number
- Both Teams to Score (BTTS): In this market, you predict whether both teams will score at least one goal during the match or not
- Correct Score: This bet involves predicting the exact final score of the match, which has higher odds but is also more challenging to get right
Understanding Odds in Football Betting
In football or sports betting, odds represent the bookmakers' assessment of the probability of a particular event happening. They tell you how much you can potentially win in relation to your stake. Odds can be represented in different formats, including fractional, decimal, and moneyline.
Here, we'll focus on decimal odds, which are commonly used by Indian bookmakers.
Decimal Odds are presented as a decimal number greater than 1. The potential winnings, including your stake, are calculated by multiplying your stake by the decimal odds. Here are key points about what decimal odds mean:
- Initial Stake Included: Decimal odds already include your initial stake. This means that if you place a bet of a certain amount, the potential payout you see in the decimal odds includes both your profit and your original wager.
- Higher Odds Indicate Lower Probability: The size of the decimal odds directly correlates with the probability of an event happening. The higher the decimal odds, the less likely the bookmaker believes the outcome is, and the more money you can potentially win if it does happen.
- Even Money: When the decimal odds are exactly 2.00, it represents an even-money bet. This means you can double your stake if your wager is successful, as the potential return is twice your initial investment.
So let's consider a hypothetical football match between Manchester United and Liverpool with the following odds.
- Manchester United: 2.50
- Draw: 2.75
- Liverpool: 1.75
If you bet INR 5,000 on Manchester United to win the match and they actually go and win then you will receive a total of INR 12,500 (2.50 x 5,000)
This means your profit will be INR 7,500 after subtracting your initial stake of INR 5,000.
Placing Your First Football Bet
Now that you've learned how odds work, the next step is to actually bet on a game or an outcome. If you understand the risks and the odds, placing a bet is a straightforward process.
Let's have a look:
- Navigate to the Sportsbook: Locate and click on the ‘Sportsbook' on the betting site. This is where you'll find a list of available sports events and odds
- Choose Your Bet: Browse through the sports events and odds available. When you find an event and the odds you want to bet on, click on the odds associated with your chosen outcome. For instance, if you're betting on a football match, click the odds for the team you believe will win
- Access Your Bet Slip: This is where you'll manage your bets. After clicking the odds, you'll typically see a pop-up called the ‘Bet Slip.' In the bet slip, you can input the amount of money you want to bet
- Double Check Your Bet: Before finalising your bet, review the details in the bet slip. Double-check the event, odds, and bet amount to ensure they are accurate
- Bet Confirmation: After placing your bet, you'll receive a confirmation message on the screen. This message will provide details of your bet, including the odds, stake, and potential payout
It's crucial to pay close attention to your bet slip before confirming your bet. The bet slip on an online betting site serves as a tool for you to double-check and confirm your choices.
A bet slip displays the selections you've made, the odds, the amount you're betting, and the potential winnings, and also tells you the current payout. It also contains information about whether you can cash out a bet, make sure to read our cash out guide for more details.
Wait for the Outcome
Once you've placed your bet, it's important to know when the outcome will be determined and how to collect your winnings.
The outcome of your bet will be known when the event or match you wagered on has concluded if you have placed the bet on a match winner. For example, in a football match, the outcome is known when the final whistle is blown, and the match is officially over.
However, if you have placed a bet on whether a particular team will score within 1-15 minutes, then your winning amount will be credited as soon as a team scores inside the predicted time slot.
Meanwhile, you typically don't need to take any action to collect your winnings. Once the outcome is known and your bet is settled as a win, the money will be credited to your betting account immediately. It will be added to your account balance, which you can then choose to use for further betting or withdraw to your banking account.
It's important to note that the time it takes for the winnings to reflect in your account will be instant. As soon as your bet wins, your betting account will be funded with the winning amount.
Withdraw Your Winnings
When you have a winning bet and it's been added to your account, the next step is to take out your earnings. This process is usually straightforward and quick if you've picked a safe and well-known online betting website.
Here's a step-by-step guide to withdraw your money from a football betting site:
- Log in to your account
- Go to the withdrawal section on the betting website
- Select a withdrawal method. The options can vary depending on the website
- Enter the amount you want to withdraw
- Confirm your identity through OTP
- Submit your withdrawal request. The bookmaker will start processing your request, and the time it takes can depend on your chosen withdrawal method
- After the processing is complete, check your account to see if your winnings have been added
Following these steps should make the withdrawal process easy and hassle-free.
Some of the most common methods of withdrawing money from top bookmakers are:
- UPI: UPI withdrawals from a betting account are often among the fastest options available. In many cases, you can expect to receive your funds almost instantly or within a few hours.
- E-Wallets: E-wallets generally offer quick withdrawal times. You can usually expect to receive your funds in a few minutes to within a few hours, depending on the betting site's processing times.
- Bank Transfers: Bank transfers can take longer compared to UPI and e-wallets. Local bank transfers within the same country might take 1-7 business days.
- Cryptocurrency: Cryptocurrency withdrawals can vary depending on blockchain network congestion and the betting site's processing times. We have seen a big increase in crypto betting sites in recent years.
- Debit/Credit Cards: Withdrawals to debit/credit cards can take 2-5 business days, depending on the card issuer and the betting site's processing times. Some sites may not offer withdrawals to cards.