Tennis enjoys a strong following in India, thanks to the country's passion for sports and the achievements of some superstar players such as Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi, and Sania Mirza.
Considering all these factors, the rise in online betting sites has contributed significantly to the growth of tennis betting in India.
Betting on tennis online has lots of ways to bet on matches. One popular way is set betting, where you try to guess exactly how many sets each player will win in a match.
Set betting is an exciting way for you to make smart guesses about how many sets each player will win in a match. It adds strategy with excitement and makes the betting experience even more enjoyable.
What is Set Betting in Tennis?
Set betting involves predicting the outcome of sets within a match, surrounding the exact scoreline of sets won by each player or the overall result of the match in terms of sets.
For instance, let’s consider a match between Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic:
- Rafael Nadal to win 3-0: Odds – 3.50
- Rafael Nadal to win 3-1: Odds – 4.00
- Rafael Nadal to win 3-2: Odds – 6.00
- Novak Djokovic to win 3-0: Odds – 5.00
- Novak Djokovic to win 3-1: Odds – 6.00
- Novak Djokovic to win 3-2: Odds – 7.50
Suppose you wager ₹1000 on Rafael Nadal to win 3-0 at odds of 3.50, and if he indeed wins the match in straight sets, you will win ₹3500.
Meanwhile, suppose you bet ₹2000 on Novak Djokovic to win 3-1 against Rafael Nadal at odds of 6.00. If Djokovic indeed wins the match with that scoreline, your potential payout will be ₹12,000
The timing of placing set bets can significantly impact your potential returns. Betting before the match begins often offers better odds, but as the game progresses, odds may change based on the match conditions.
Alternate Types of Set Betting in Tennis
Some betting websites often diversify set betting by offering unique set betting options, like predicting the player who will serve the most aces, make the most outright winners, or commit the most unforced errors in a set.
Sometimes odds might even extend to unlikely events, such as whether a ball-person or umpire will get struck by a ball or if a player will receive a warning for unsportsmanlike conduct.
During Wimbledon, you might even place a bet on the possibility of a pigeon landing and interrupting play.
Correct Score Of Each Set
Most sets in tennis are won by the player who is the first to win six games. But if the score reaches 5-5, then the players play two more games to see if a player can win 7-5.
If the score reaches 6-6, then a tiebreak takes place to decide the set. But the final sets in some matches are not decided by a tiebreak, with the players having to win by two clear games.
As a tennis bettor, you can land some big odds about predicting the correct score of any set. The possible outcomes are 6-0, 6-1, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5, and 7-6.
Action Betting: Games and Points
Betting on specific games and points, known as action betting, is another integral part of tennis betting.
This type of betting provides a more strategic approach, allowing you to focus on precise moments within a match.
- Specific Game Outcomes: You can place bets on individual games within a set or match. For instance, betting on whether a particular player will win a specific game within a set (e.g., Carlos Alcaraz to win Game 5 in Set 1).
- Total Games or Points: Predicting the total number of games or points within a set or match. For example, wagering on whether the total games in a set will be odd or even. Betting on the total number of games played in a specific set (e.g., Over/Under 9.5 games in Set 2).
- Point-by-Point Betting: Point-by-point betting gets detailed. For instance, betting on which player will win the first point of a game. Speculating on whether a game will go to deuce or predicting the winner of a specific point within a game.
Action betting in tennis provides you with a mammoth range of options to engage more deeply with the match, focusing on specific moments and outcomes within the broader context of the game.
Factors Influencing Set Betting
When considering set betting in tennis, several factors influence your wagering decisions. Player form, surface type (grass, clay, hardcourt), head-to-head records, and fatigue levels play crucial roles.
For example, a player known for their dominance on clay might have higher odds of winning sets on that surface compared to others.
Here are some tips on when to consider doing set betting in tennis.
- Research and Analysis: Analyse player statistics, recent performances, and head-to-head matchups to make the best decision for yourself.
- Surface Adaptability: Understand players' strengths and weaknesses on different surfaces. Some players excel on grass, while others perform better on clay or hard courts.
- Fitness and Stamina: Consider players' fitness levels and their ability to sustain high-quality play across multiple sets.
- In-Play Betting: Monitor the match closely, as in-play betting allows you to adapt your bets based on the current momentum and performance of players.
- Weather Conditions: Weather can significantly impact a match, especially in outdoor tournaments. A windy day might favour certain players over others.